Friday, November 18, 2011

some reading I got to enjoy..


Christian books:

“Don’t Waste Your Life” –John Piper
                -It is about the way a Christian life can eventually lead to a life that God did not intend at all, basically a boring and predictable life.  It is the way a life can be and the way God intends life to be.  It was a really good book and a quick read- I had to do a book report on it YWAM.

 “Screwtape Letters” –C.S. Lewis
                -This book is scary but good.  It is C.S. Lewis’s way to trying to show how the devil works (or tries to work) in peoples’ lives.  It is about an uncle demon writing to his nephew on how to deceive people.  I really liked it. (another books report)

“Chronicles of Narnia” –C.S. Lewis
-Magicians Nephew
-The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe
-The Horse and the Boy
                -I read the first 3 books of the Chronicles of Narnia.  They are basically a way of displaying the gospel in a ferry tale setting. (to a younger audience). I am not sure if I will finish the series, but it is really creative and interesting!

“Velvit Elvis” –Rob Bell
                -Despite his new controversial book, I loved this book by Rob Bell.  He does a great way of telling the gospel and has awesome things about forgiveness and love.  I LOVED this book. (another book report for school in YWAM)

“Traveling Light”- Max Lucado
                -This was my FAVORITE book I read the entire time.  It is supper basic but it is about how we carry all this stuff we do not have to, and so much of the stuff we carry (like anxiety and guilt) is actually sinful.  It is SO GOOD and I would recommend this to everyone! I LOVED it!!

“Facing Your Giants”- Max Lucado
                -Goes through the life of David and relates it to us.  It is an awesome book and I learned so much about King David and it was really easy to apply to my life.

“Fearless”- Max Lucado
                -The title says it all.  It is a book about living a fearless life.  We are NOT supposed to live in fear and so many of us do. 

“Heaven is For Real” –Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent
                -This is about a kid who “died” and went to heaven and ended up being saved by doctors, and slowly over 2 years he revealed to his parents that he had seen Jesus and what Heaven was like.  Some of the stuff that happens in this book is CRAZY. I would recommend it it is a fun read.

“Crazy Love” –Francis Chan
                -LOVED IT! It is about what love for Christ, and from Him, does in our lives.  READ IT!! It is great.

“A Lineage of Grace”- Francine Rivers
I read all 5 of these books:
-Tamar
-Rahab
-Ruth
-Bathsheba
-Mary
                -In these books Francine Rivers unfolds these girls’ lives in the bible and writes a novel with added detail about what she thinks it was like for these women.  I LOVED reading these books and learned so much!! I would definitely recommend these!!!  They are about 100 pages each, so its really fast and puts so much in perspective.


Leadership Books:

“The Walmart Way” –Don Soderquist
                -The way Walmart started.  Basically a business leadership book.  It was really interesting to me because I had NO idea walmart started as a small town business. (had to do a book report on it)

“Leadership is an Art” – Max DePree
                -Don’t read it. So boring.  We had it read it for school for YWAM. 
 
Biographies:

“A Child Called It”- David Peltzer
“Lost boy” –David Peltzer
“A Man named Dave”- David Peltzer
                -David Peltzer wrote three biographies about different stages in his life.  I LOVED them all, but it is a hard read because he is the 3rd worst child abuse victim in California, and it is just really sad, but ends great and I loved it.  

“The Glass Castle”- Jeannette Walls
                - Second time I have read this because it is one of my FAVORITE biographies ever.  READ IT!!

Random others..

“Sarah’s Key” – Tatiana de Rosnay
                -A story from WWII and what is was like in Paris.  I loved it

“The Heart of the Matter” – Emily Giffin
                -Soap opera book. I ran out of books and got this for free at a hotel.  It is about an affair.  I wouldn’t recommend it.

“The Da Vinci Code” –Dan Brown
                -I loved it- crime, mystery, trying to figure out the twists.  I thought it was really entertaining, you just really have to read it knowing it is fictional.

No comments:

Post a Comment