Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ministry Week!

This week is so great.  Instead of having a speaker and being in class, we are actually working with a school in down town San Pedro.  As much as I love class, it is a good change of pace. In the schools we are paired off in two’s and in the same classroom all week.  I am with Marvin, the local on our team.  We are in a 6 year old class, and the kids are so great.  Schools are very different here though (clearly).  Like yesterday Marvin and I walked in and the teacher said, okay teach Bible stories.. We were basically in charge the rest of the day.  The teacher gave one lesson on adjectives, and when I started helping the kids I realized most of them do not even know their ABC’s, so we learned the song., but there is a big difference in memorizing a song and learning the letters.  I spent most of the day working with kids one on one, specifically one girl and one boy who are very behind.  We left the classrooms at 12, and then went into San Pedro and did work projects for 2 families.  The one I was assigned to was an old woman who had just had surgery.  We cleaned her house and took her daughter to get ice cream.  It was fun and I feel like I learned so much more about Belize yesterday.

Today me and Marvin showed up to class and our teacher straight up left.  Like went home.  She wrote a schedule for us to do that consisted of “Bible stories and mathematics.”  I was like…. Hmm this should be interesting.  But we did it, and I did my best to teach the kids how to add.  The teachers here are on about an 8th grade level of education, so its been cool try and show the teachers new ways of teaching.  Before class today me, T, and Ally went to the classrooms and played songs for the kids.  My fingers burned like fire because it had been so long since I had played guitar, but the kids loved it.  I was pretty sick of Waves of Mercy and My Fathers House though by about 9am. ;)

We will be in the classrooms all week and doing other ministry stuff in the afternoon.  And instead of having Friday night off we are having a ministry night in the main park down town for the kids, doing face painting and passing out candy.  Sunday we get to work with a church and lead Sunday school.  I love how San Pedro is pretty small because most of the kids in our classes will be at the park Friday and church Sunday.  Its cool to hang out with them outside of class and show them we love them and WANT to spend time with them. 

Please just be praying for strength for us this week. Also, being around these types of areas and schools reminds me of how much I love working with third world people.  Please pray that I can continue to trust the Lord with taking us to the UK for our outreach.  It will be a different kind of ministry, and please pray the Lord continues to prepare all of us for it.  Love yall so much!

 playing songs for the kids!


5 comments:

  1. How awesome! You are playing the guitar and playing with the kids! You think you are where you should be, but then God seems to have another plan for you by sending you to the UK. He is in control and will guide you to exactly where He wants you to be. Remember trust & obey, for there is no other way!
    Love you! Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca this might be my favorite post yet! I LOVE that you are getting to experience this. You are as beautiful as ever! praying for your strength!! Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. beaming reading your blogs!! So fun to hear stories and see pictures! Love that you are playing guitar for the kids! Makes me smile. Praying for you, love you, miss you, so very proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Becca, this is so cool. I continue to pray for supernatural ability for you, supernatural authority and supernatural energy as you launch your precious life in ministry. Aunt k

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh these pictures are precious...send me one of those children.

    ReplyDelete